Wednesday, 1 January 2014

I realize it's January 1st, do you?



A huge majority of people, myself excluded, partied until 12AM last night; as if they had to make sure, really fucking sure, that 2014 was going to happen. After, or during, that party everyone said things, via internet or face to face or to themselves, along the lines of "What a great year 2013 was, can't wait for the next one!", or "2014 is my year, I know it!", or "I look forward to a year of amazingness"...That's great. I only have a few problems with the delusion of January 1st, of any year, being the equivalent to a special day controlled my magical sorcerers that give everyone mini 3-wish genies as party favors.

My first major problem, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that every one, for the most part, complained during 2013. Please, tell me if I am being negative to say that everyone complained about their jobs, money, relationships, family, Etc. However, despite our love and need to hate and judge everything; I can say that I really appreciate something about the American spirit: we are really good at thinking something is great when, and only when, it's over. A boyfriend or girlfriend we complain about constantly but then, when it's over, we miss them and we can easily remember the good things about that person. A night out at overcrowded bars with overpriced drinks and underaged boys when, once you are finally home in bed, you can say was a fun night and that $14 martini was actually pretty good and that hot guy wasn't that underaged. A year, and roll with me on this one, that consisted of sicknesses, problems, overbearing responsibilities, car troubles, delayed flights, work, messy houses/apartments, exhaustion, accidents etc; and only when it's over, you can spend one night, out of all 365, appreciating it and enjoying the good things about it. And that small act, makes everything OK.
Along the same lines, can we really dismiss the eery resemblance our 2014 feeling of hope holds to ours former 2013/2012/2011 feelings of hope? I'm sorry to sound like a bitch but…are they not exactly the same? And do people see how regular and unimpressive 2013/2012/2011 were? And they have learned nothing? I mean, I don't know of many people that have told every past year to go fuck themselves, but have chosen to welcome this particular year with open arms. I didn't see a single text message or Facebook post saying "Fuck you 2014, I know you are going to be terrible", or "go to hell 2014, why can't you just stay 2013 forever? you are so selfish". Nope, everyone is pretty excited for the new year, and why is that? Because they are completely over 2013. As if the human invention of years and time, and that magical 1 number change in the year, is going to make us different people.

Now, I realize it is January 1st today, do other people realize that? Do other people realize that it is the day after December 31st? And not an entire new world that has granted them a new existence and fate? I mean…do they? Because it doesn't seem like they do. I feel pretty alone in this. So, before everyone gets all stoked and resolution-y about 2014, let's please remember that yesterday was 2013. YESTERDAY. All a New Years Resolution is? A glorified way to say "I'm going to do X, Y, and Z…starting tomorrow". I literally say that EVERYDAY, and no one celebrates it. I don't get a party, and NYC doesn't drop a big ass ball in my honor to say "YES, WORLD! LAURA IS GOING TO START DIETING IN 10..9.8..7.." I mean, I Wish!

The truth is, it's the day after yesterday. Don't get me wrong, it's really fun to have a big party in the middle of the week and a day off. I only wish we had a better reason for it like, I don't know, exactly one year ago everyone was given a personal wizard that jotted down all our hopes and dreams, and after sleeping for a year while the wizard worked on us, we were woken up to be exactly who we wanted to be and living exactly how we want.

I realize this may be confusing for some people, since that is actually what they think happens every NYE, but…it's not.


Well, Happy New Day. Please, let me borrow your genie when you are done with it. I must not have gotten mine on the account of being a total bitch. Or my firm grip on reality has left me genie-less and alone.

~LD

No comments:

Post a Comment