I am a dreamer. Lord knows who I get it from, but I am always fantasizing about other worlds. Obviously, I am not doing it in the weirdo 12 year old boy way; I don't sit around dreaming about being a space fighter, discovering Narnia, or living inside The Lord of the Rings...why day dream about things you have already done?
No. I dream about myself in alternate realities. Like, what if I took this road instead of that, or what if I discovered this talent and not that? Those types of things.
Anyway, in one of those alternative universes, I am one tough bitch. I have always told myself that if push came to shove, or if I really wanted to, I could totally join the army. I told myself that I could TOTALLY rough it; I can deal with the mental/physical/and emotional discipline, no problem! I can eat crappy food and sleep under horrible conditions, no big deal! I am not a girly-girl that needs hygiene and comfort. Those are the lies I told myself; and, for better or worse, that dream is now dead because...
FALSE. I can NOT deal with the mental/physical/or emotional discipline. It IS a problem.
FALSE. I can NOT eat crappy food and sleep under horrible conditions. It is, actually, a huge deal.
FALSE. I am a huge girly-girl that needs hygiene and comfort. You can't teach an old dog news tricks, or, in my case, you can't teach a young beautiful angel new tricks(I am the angel in this scenario).
It started the same way all my bad experiences start- with a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. We (the people in my Israel program and myself) were told a month in advance that they were signing us up to do Sar-El over Hanuka break. Sar-El is a program that allows people to volunteer on an IDF army base for X amount of time. We were told that we would be there for 5 days, and that it was optional. A lot of my close friends were going, and I had no real reason not to, so I decided to sign up. However, the night before Sunday (some people call it Saturday night), I was really having second thoughts; but it was too late to back out- we were leaving in the morning. So I reluctantly packed my bags, shut up that little voice inside my head that was saying "this is going to be the worst" and replaced it with the old "how bad can it be?". Famous and cliche last words.
To be continued, Sar-Hell Part II...
Wait patiently,
Sargent LD
I once took a psychological aptitude test where 100 score meant you were born to do something and 0 meant put in that situation you would die -- I scored 14 in the military. Nuff said.
ReplyDelete